About

This blog is by an Estonian discovering her childhood dream country Canada. Based in Toronto, but sometimes traveling. Looking for an Estonian connection in the far away country and giving away tips about what to see, what to do, what to experience. Hence the name of the blog: Toronto. Canada. Estonia.

Friday, December 28, 2012

Nuthatch


During winter I really haven't had luck to encounter any animals nor birds, but I was happy to do so when I headed out for my daily photo walk. The bird I noticed looked a lot like a bird back at home -white wagtail. But the beak was a bit different and therefore I knew that this is a new species I ws just learning about.





This is a nuthatch.

A common feeder bird with clean black, gray, and white markings, White-breasted Nuthatches are active, agile little birds with an appetite for insects and large, meaty seeds. They get their common name from their habit of jamming large nuts and acorns into tree bark, then whacking them with their sharp bill to “hatch” out the seed from the inside. White-breasted Nuthatches may be small but their voices are loud, and often their insistent nasal yammering will lead you right to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment