About

This blog is by an Estonian discovering her childhood dream country Canada. Based in Toronto, but sometimes traveling. Looking for an Estonian connection in the far away country and giving away tips about what to see, what to do, what to experience. Hence the name of the blog: Toronto. Canada. Estonia.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Canadian Museum of Civilization




My kind friends took me to the Canadian Museum of Civilization. What a huge museum, so  much to see, so much to read. I learned a lot. You might think that this is still Ottawa, as I went to Ottawa after all, but the museum is located in Gatineau, Quebec.

The museum's primary purpose is to collect, study, preserve, and present material objects that illuminate the human history of Canada and the cultural diversity of its people. Interesting enough I found a corner at the children department where there were toys from USSR. I recognized few pieces I used to play when I was little. Maybe some day I can share a photo of those.

I liked the architecture of the building a lot and always trying to see who is behind amazing buildings. The museum was designed by Douglas Cardinal, a famous Aboriginal architect educated at the University of British Columbia, and the University of Texas at Austin. There you go, that explains the real authentic look of the museum, almost looks like somebody is watching you when standing in front of it.

You can reach to museum's website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment